Saturday, June 4, 2011

better late than never: Mother's Day at Mercato Centrale

This one’s really late, but hey, here goes anyway ☺.

It was a rainy Mother’s day.  We were on our way to Bonifacio Global City curious at what Mercato Centrale has to offer on a mommy holiday and Pacman’s fight.

Mia enjoyed her own seat in the van.  She told all of us “Buckle your seatbelts!”  So we did.

I went gaga going around the two air-conditioned tents that is the famous Mercato Centrale.  There was also an open area outside the tents where most of the grilled and ‘buffet’ items are sold.  By ‘buffet’ items, I mean food usually included in a buffet spread showcased on chafing dishes.  
best view from inside the van
I made sure I saw the stalls of the food I looked forward to, like the Pan de Bagnet, Frozen Ravioli, that Krispy Kreme burger and Rainbow cake.  I also had to check out the isaw.  Yeah, I’m a street food junkie!  My dad deprived me of those when I was younger.
Pan de Bagnet - crunchy pork, crispy greens and perfectly flavored dressing
Spinach Ravioli - sauteed in butter, the filling needed a bit more flavor even with the tomato sauce
it came with a rose for mothers
Krispy Kreme burger topped with egg, bacon and cheese - so rich and yummy!
street food i like - isaw (chicken innards)
Mia obliged riding her buggy since she saw Sugar was happily slouched on her own ☺.  It was pouring outside and people were walking briskly from stall to stall, getting food to eat as Pacman will soon come out on TV.  We had to make sure the babies were safe.

As a reward for staying put for almost an hour, she got this beautiful flower cookie on a stick.  Actually, two of that.

We finally settled down on a table with a good view of the fight.  As we were digging through roast beef, cebu lechon, paella and all those food, Manny Pacquiao’s production-number-of-an-entrance was shown.  
Chami and our 6 bite size tacos for P60
a Moroccan dish - curried rice and fish fillet
Paella Valenciana - looked really good, but not exactly when eaten
Paella Negra - also forgettable
Roast Beef for P180 - tender beef slices went well with the perfectly mashed potatoes
Salpicao - seasoned well but nothing new
There were three or four televisions showing the fight, live.  People were so excited.  It was my first time to watch a Pacquiao fight in public.  It was fascinating how we Filipinos looked so anxious as to how the fight will turn out.  Of course we all know how it victoriously ended.  
almost everyone patiently stood up to watch the Pacquiao-Mosely fight
I, on the other hand, was more enthralled at the sight of Mrs. Pacman’s earrings!  Jaw-dropping indeed!
i did not see her necklace until i checked yahoo news - I am speechless
I have to admit that I had very high expectations of Mercato Centrale.  Blame media for that.  This is not to say that it was not worth the trip, I just expected more.  I wanted to be surprised, being a self-proclaimed foodie that I am.  
grilled ribs and some others
grilled seafood
thick crust pizza with filling
choose from these to make your very own pastry tower
themed cookie lollipops
pistachio and pecan nuts - mama and papa's favorite munchies
Needless to say, the pudding, Rainbow cake and Muncheez I took home pleased sweet tooth me.
yummy Pudding torched when you buy it had the perfect smooth, silky texture
Rainbow cake - colorful for the eyes, flavorful for the buds
delish bars of cornflakes, which can easily be made at home 
It was a very pleasant Mother’s day celebration for the family.  The rain did not wash away the good vibes we woke-up with, save for my horrible migraine episode that started on our way to Alabang.  What a party pooper I was!  While everyone shopped for a pair (or two) of shoes at Payless Shoe Source, I was in a corner, my head buried in my hands, suffering from that headache that really ruins me every time.  It was so painful! What was more painful was the fact that I did not get my own shoe indulgence!  Grrrrrr!  And we had to skip coffee ☹.  

I overheard Mama say how pleased she was with the family day out.  She was delighted with the pair of slip-ons she chose and she already knew what to wear with it.  Chami was obviously tickled pink with two new pairs she got to choose on her own.  A-jel and Papa did not patiently wait for the girls to leave empty-handed; they got Dexters.

Sans the migraine attack, it was a Happy Mother’s Day ☺.


Mercato Cenrale is at 34th St. and 8th Avenue Bonifacio Global City (across MC Home Depot).  Open on Saturdays and Sundays, 700am-200pm.
Midnight Mercato at the same venue, Fridays and Saturdays from 1000pm-300am.
I’ve visited Payless Shoe Source at Festival Mall Alabang, SM Megamall and Paseo de Sta. Rosa.


No comments:

Post a Comment