Tuesday, June 7, 2011

the dentist and her playhouse

I did not want Mia to make a big fuss about going to a dentist.  I wanted her to see it like we were just going to the mall.  So when I got a dental appointment for her, I announced it as plainly as I can: Mia, we’re going to the dentist tomorrow.  She gave me a blank stare.

She is aware of what a dentist does.  She’s seen Elmo go to a dentist J, on TV of course.  She was not scared of the idea, she just knew that she was going to be held in place for quite a while – that, she hated.  Even when she is given vaccine shots, she never really cries because of the syringe.  It was always because she was restrained.

We arrived at Dra. Georgia Roa-Remulla’s clinic in Alabang where familiar faces met us.  Mia’s godmothers Malu, Bel and Lea and their own babies were also consulting on the same day.  Inside the clinic, Mia went crazy seeing this:


I went nuts!  I LOOOOOVVVVEEE PLAYHOUSES!  I swear if we have one at home, I can happily do work and play with Mia in it.  We can even nap inside.  I used to build make-shift playhouses with blankets, pillows and tents when I was younger.  Then I would arrange my little kitchen toys inside and pretend to cook for my brother and his robots.  Oooooh…those good old days J.

I was so happy for Mia, I allowed her to climb a staircase all by herself.  Yes, the playhouse actually had stairs to get to its 2nd floor.


It also had a kitchen where Mia asked Ten-ten, her Ninang Bel’s daughter, to cook with her.

Aside from the awesome playhouse, the clinic had all these other toys and books that children can use to forget teeth check-up enjoy.  I know this is secondary in choosing your child’s dentist, but it sure does help a lot.




When Dra. Remulla took a look at Mia’s teeth, my baby wasn’t as difficult to manage as I expected her to be.  I was ready for wails and kicks, instead I only got a few no’s and short whimpers.  She even obliged giving EEEE’s and AAAA’s.  Good girl!

The sunny ambience of this dental clinic only comes 2nd to the naturally friendly voice and calm approach of this Columbia-educated Pediatric Dentist, making both children and parents really at ease.  Not to mention really clean and sanitized facilities and equipment (sorry I failed to take photos of the other facilities, I went nuts nga sa playhouse).


This lovely dentist also gives time to explain to us parents the condition of our child’s teeth and shares oral hygiene for children (with visuals pa ha).  Mia was obviously happy as she was babbling non-stop and forcing me to look at her teeth right after the treatment (just cleaning and fluoride application, thank goodness!).

Two days after that dental appointment, Mia asked me what was done to her teeth.  I told her they were cleaned and given vitamins.  I asked her if she wanted to go there again.  Her response was a huge smile and - “Next week!”  Hahaha!  Because Mia did not really have any problems, we’re due back 3 months from now. J

Thank you Ms. Georgia! J


No comments:

Post a Comment