Wednesday, June 8, 2011

saving the Philippine seas


When I decided to start a blog, I told myself that it should be worth it.  I wanted it to be deserving of the time and effort I give to write (and pay home internet for), as well as others’ time to read it.  Aside from humoring my family and friends, I want relevance.  This is my chance.

I learned about Blog Action Day through ANNAlysis, a.k.a Raisa.  She’s the most passionate environmental advocate I know.  But I won’t elaborate on that here because I don’t think I’ll do her justice.  Go to her site and you will know feel it.

In the announcement, they asked all those who will help out should register.  Busy and sick me was not able to do that, but I don’t think that should stop me from writing this.

I am not a diver.  Neither have I plunged in the open sea for such a long time now.  Nonetheless, my childhood summer memories are mostly on sea and sand.  I was told I even refused to eat and nap.  I would rather build my sand castle or watch tiny fish swim very near the shore.  I did not fear the sun!  I’d like my daughter to experience that too.

Mia has been watching Dora and Mariana recently. I think everyone knows who Dora the Explorer is.  Mariana, on the other hand, is the mermaid princess that Dora helped to save the Mermaid Kingdom that was in danger of being extinct because of garbage in the ocean.  Mia is always into the story when she sees it.  No wonder, when we passed by a long stretch of river that was not exactly clean, she said “Eow yuck river, Mom!  It’s color black!”  Now, I have heard a lot of people say that, but hearing it from a 2-year old gives it more meaning.

I do wish for bright, blue seas for my daughter to enjoy.  The family has a beach house in the province.  Mia has not been there yet.  I hope the beach will still be the same when she finally goes to visit.

The sand does not come close to what Boracay has, but the water has always been clean and clear.

Mia has assumed that all bodies of water should have fish in it. And that water with fish swimming in it should not be black.  I know this because she would ask me where the fish are when she sees a river, pond, or even an aquarium.  More than cute, that's just sensible, isn’t it?

We’re off to the beach in a couple of weeks.  Keeping my fingers crossed for a friendly weather.  Mia deserves to enjoy the sea J.


No comments:

Post a Comment